Joomla installation on AWS EC2
Joomla is the free and open source content management system for publishing web contents dynamically. Joomla is written in PHP. Joomla is written using the techniques of object oriented programming(OOPS). Joomla stores data mainly using mysql and postgreSQL databases. Joomla is estimated to be the second mostly used content management system after the wordpress.
This guide helps anyone with who has bare minimum knowledge in AWS and Linux to setup a Free-tier AWS EC2 instance with Joomla without issues.
This setup is recommended for development purpose because the setup won’t focus on backup automation security or any performance optimizations.
If you are looking out for any production implementation you can sign up with us, and we will set it up for you with backup automation, performance optimization, security implemented on OS and website level. It just costs you $100/setupSetup Joomla for Me!
1. Launch a fresh server of your Desired OS(CentOS/RedHat Linux/Amazon Linux),the below article will explain you about how to install Joomla in Amazon Linux AMI.
2. Choose the instance type either t2.micro ,t2.small, t2.medium or t2.large. Joomla requires minimum of 1GB of RAM to function we have chosen t2.micro(free tier) for this demo.
3. Change the default storage of 8GB to 30GB(included in free-tier). Of course Joomla can be hosted within 8GB storage. But It is better to choose 30 GB for the backup automation and for the accommodation of website content.
4. Allow the following inbound ports in AWS security group settings to gain access to 20-21(For Joomla FTP), 22(For Linux SSH),(Joomla over HTTP) 80,(Joomla over HTTPS) 443. You can also add desired ports later by editing inbound rules after launching the instance.
5.Now choose either existing key pair or create new key pair .In case of creating new key pair don’t forget to download the keypair and keep it in a safe place. Without key pair you cannot login to your Joomla instance. If you lose the keypair there is no other possible way to regenerate the same keypair. You only have to relaunch a new instance by taking an image of the current Joomla instance to gain access to your codes.
6.Now you can launch the instance and once the instance is launched successfully attach the Elastic IP to the newly created instance. Attaching an Elastic IP will is assigning a static IP to your instance. So, that your instance’s IP would not change whenever you stop and start the instance. This will ensure that your Joomla site runs uninterrupted.
7. Now you can login into server using public ip, keypair and install Joomla.
8.To install Joomla in AWS EC2 instance download and run the following installation script within the server .
8. The Joomla installation may take time to complete please be patient until the script completes execution, once the downloading is completed run the screen command to run the process in the background then run the sh command
chmod +x JoomlaInstall.sh
Setup Joomla for Me!
9.Upon execution the Joomla site will be ready to be launched. Please point the domain’s A record to server’s Elastic IP and then access the site and proceed with Joomla installation.
10. MySQL root login is placed in /root/.my.cnf and website database login credentials are placed in /home/ec2-user/db-login.txt web files are places in /var/www/html
Do not hesitate to write to us if you are running into issues. We are glad to help you.